Rolleiflex Instant? Really?
First off, this is a brand new Rolleiflex Instant Kickstarter event that will be launching on or around April 26, 2018.
So, I only have the Rollei provided images above. But we will definitely see ‘Rolleiflex’ on the camera’s upper moniker because this is truly a Rollei project. Yay! Suffice it to say the viewfinder should make an enormous improvement on what is already probably the coolest Instax camera around. See the improved specs below. Do I expect a Rolleiflex 2.8/3.5 monster camera? No, I don’t. But with a greatly improved viewfinder, I suspect it to be formidable. In theory. 😁
Inspired by the Real Thing?
Rollei™, a well -known German brand, has over a hundred years worth of experience in camera and optics. Rolleiflex™ is the name of their premier line dedicated to medium format twin lens reflex (TLR) cameras. The first Rolleiflex™ twin lens reflex camera came out in 1927. (Actually, 1929) For the next few decades, Rollei continued to innovate and push their development of TLRs until they reached the limit. The last Rolleiflex™ TLR update was released in the 1960s – (that may be so,…but Rollei sold the TLR until 2012), leaving only vintage cameras behind for true photography enthusiasts. Again, I believe the last TLR Rolleiflex was the Rolleiflex 2.8 FX,…or maybe the Rolleiflex 4.0 FT, which were built in this century. The consummate Rolleiflex TLR book seems to be ‘Complete Collector’s Guide to the Rollei TLR: Listing All Known Rollei TLR Cameras 1929-1994‘, published in 1996. Although we know other Rolleiflexes were released later.
However, they have never forgotten the TLR. So in 2017, the Rolleiflex gathered camera enthusiasts, experienced technicians, TLR lovers and other camera manufacturers together in order to brainstorm new ideas for how to re-introduce the TLR for the modern era. In 2018, after the 90th birthday of the first TLR, Rollei is introducing a instant film camera edition of a Rolleiflex TLR Camera. Actually, Rolleiflex didn’t stop production until 2012!
Rolleiflex™ Instant Kamera is the new name of this Rolleiflex Instant that should produce high quality images optimized for use with Fujifilm Instax Mini film.Rollei feels you will be amazed by the wide range of apertures from f/5.6 to f/22, accurate focusing from 48 cm to infinity with cinematic viewfinder and the built-in electric flash with automatic light emission control. This allows you to have a taste of instant photography with the well-loved twin lens system that Rolleiflex is known for. They hope to honor that legacy and let all of you enjoy the amazing visuals this camera will hopefully produce.
The New Rolleiflex Instant
- Twin Lens Design: Reinhold Heidecke was inspired to make the Rollei TLRs while photographing soldiers in the German trenches in 1916 – the twin lens design provided a periscope approach to focusing and taking photos which radically reduced the risk of the photographer being hit by sniper fire.
- Aperture Control: Enjoy shallow depth of field with f/5.6. This allows you to get the most out of the instant film format and really help your subjects stand out.
- Viewfinder Design: A Fresnel anti-glare coated viewfinder that is operated at waist-level allows you theperfect setup for street photography while on the move: shoot photos any time just by looking down.
- 3-element Aspheric Lens: Takes sharp images bursting with detail, and has a focal length of 61mm.
- Magnifier: As with traditional Rolleiflex cameras, our new instant TLR camera includes a magnifier so you can take a closer look.
- Accurate Focusing: Adjust the focus manually so you can eliminate excess noise and hone in on what matters most.
- Ambient Light Meter: Don’t worry about having to figure out the exposure, simply check the green/orange light to know if the exposure is correct. Then just point and shoot!
- Multiple Exposure Mode: Create beautifully layered images by exposing a frame as many times as you like.
- Portable: 30% slimmer than traditional twin lens cameras with simplified knobs and buttons.
- Long Exposure Mode: Keeps your shutter open with B mode so that you can unleash your creativity in light paintings or anything you could imagine.
- Built-In Flash & Flash Off Mode: Lets you decide just how much light you want to shine on your shenanigans.
- Instant Films: Uses Fujifilm Instax Mini – the most common instant film and widely available!
The video is actually for the Mint TL70, but it gives you and idea of the Rollei version. Anything with the word ‘Rollei’ is always welcomed in the film community. A marque missed by all.